Sunday, October 14, 2012

Barnes Ignoble


United States v. Barnes, No. 10-3099-cr (2d Cir. September 4, 2012) (Kearse, Parker, Hall, CJJ).


Tuere Barnes and his co-defendants faced a thirty-eight count superseding indictment charging them with racketeering and several violent crimes in aid of it, including murder. The case moved fairly slowly - the original indictment was from 2004 and the superseder dropped in 2006. But by late 2007, it emerged that Barnes and his CJA attorney were not getting along. The district court conducted several hearings about this between November 2007 and March of 2008. By that time, Barnes’s position was that he did not want his CJA attorney, did not want to proceed pro se, did not want a different CJA attorney, and would not consent to a psychiatric evaluation.

A few months later, in July of 2008, Barnes formally asked the court to allow him to proceed pro se. In preparation for the necessary Faretta hearing, Barnes at last consented to a psychiatric evaluation. That evaluation, which took place the following month, concluded that Barnes was competent to represent himself.  Nevertheless, over the ensuing months, neither Barnes nor his counsel ever mentioned the subject again, despite the fact that there were several court appearances and written communications between counsel and the court between the summer of 2008 and the trial, which commenced in April of 2009.  As a result, the district court never formally ruled on the matter.

On appeal, Barnes argued that the court had denied him his Sixth Amendment right to represent himself because the court’s failure to rule on the request was “the equivalent of its denial.” But, finding that Barnes had abandoned the request through his own inaction, the circuit disagreed and affirmed.

Where a defendant’s request to go pro se has not been clearly denied, his failure to reassert it and his apparent cooperation with his appointed counsel constitutes a waiver of the right. Here, Barnes did not “in any way” pursue the request, despite ample opportunity to do so between August of 2008 and April of 2009.  Thus, his silence in the wake of the psychiatric evaluation finding him competent and his “post-evaluation conduct in allowing [counsel] to represent him with no further mention of his self-representation request” showed that he abandoned the request to proceed pro se.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is so informative ... ..I just now bookmarked you.
...continue the favorable work!!!!

Feel free to visit my web blog; danon jewellery fashion jewelry

May 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i require a motorist hp 1005 for os home windows
7.

Here is my website ... xerox phaser 8560 printer

May 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hp laserjet 1020 vehicle drivers sustains Windows XP.
The HP 1020 LaserJet is a good.

my website - xerox phaser 8560 ink sticks

May 31, 2013 at 2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for vehicle drivers. really useful site!


My web blog ... xerox Phaser 8560 Ld

May 31, 2013 at 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey my panasonic plasma tv screen iz cracked looks,as if a,
ball hit it. Can it be fixed?

Here is my web page; LG 42 inch LED TV

June 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I m having this mistake on a 4700 shade laserjet connection printer.
It begins spitting out web pages non stop with this mistake.
anybody has a suggestion if this is software or equipment.

I have all newest vehicle driver and firmware updates.
vehicle driver I am taking legal action against is PCL6.
any sort of help would be cherished.

My blog post: http://iphone5newstv.com

June 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly liked this great write-up. Please proceed this remarkable job.


Here is my webpage :: xerox phaser 8560 Error Codes

June 2, 2013 at 5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your info.
No problem installingl the vist64 vehicle driver.


Also visit my web site - yesboleh.blogspot.co.uk

June 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there,
I am wanting to publish sales brochures in shade and was
wondering exactly how it would be for 200.

I am a little bit confused with the structure above, a friend of mine send it
to me and I was speculating if you prefer send me additional specifics on content
rates and all that you do.
Sev.

Visit my blog post: xerox phaser 8560 Toner

June 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.

Also visit my web site; pilgrim jewellery sale (ali4s8nhbo.yolasite.com)

June 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to all a touch of colour when attending to Christmas card "envelopes".
Is it hard to add an easy "clip craft" candy walking stick or Christmas Bells or Minature Christmas plant when using tags?

Believe I will begin using labels this year.
Many thanks!


Ellen.

My site xerox phaser 8560 error codes ()

June 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i need driver HP Color Laserjet 2605.

Also visit my web site; xerox phaser 8560 maintenance kit

June 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone loves the newborn child Africa Drop earrings!
! Would die easily could my on the job those!! :)

My site - danon jewellery uk

June 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks mate, operated like an attraction. This has been doing my head in for days !
!

My blog post - xerox phaser 8560 printer (theflaze.blogspot.co.uk)

June 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home